Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The specialtivity of the purple vaccume

I am going to quote a famous poem (hopefully you have heard of it), that fits in with the dicussions we have been having around here recently.

Dream Deferred (harlem)

What happens to a dream deffered?

Does it dry up
like a raisen in the sun?
Or fester like a sore-
and then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over-
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Well this poem is more complex then it appears at first glance, it was written sometime around 1920 (I should probly find out the exact date, but I'm lazy). The poem is about black segregation and the fact that blacks were being secluded from their main dream-being considered a part of America...now that the serious part of it is gone, I would like to point out one of the last parts of the poem
"Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load"
Well, there are only two possible things that this could mean. The first one involves a toilet, and is a normal responce to someone talking about a "heavy load". The second one is the one bishop and Jack immidiatly thought of, but thats just because they are HUGE perverts, and they can't help it.

Lets go back to that first option. If you were being particularly crude, you might say (before you use the restroom) "I need to get rid of a load." What I want to know is WHAT IN THE WORLD Langston Hughes was thinking when he wrote this. Was he particularly constipated? Did he have an issue that he needed to talk to his doctor about? Or maybe I am the only person in the world who doesn't think pooping is a horrible thing that is comparable with a "festoring sore" or "rotten meat." Someone care to enlighten me?

10 comments:

shadowoftruth said...

ok then...well i belive he is constipated...anyway there is something of value that i need to say...It burns so bad

Liberal Atheist said...

He means it's a heavy load that all blacks carry on their backs, Matt, a legacy of slavery that will never be overcome.

Retard.

Cap'n_Jack said...

When the hell was poetry an ok topic? Fuck all poetry ever written by anyone ever. And load does not necessarily mean shit or what Bishand I thought of, it could also mean, say a heavy backpack or something of the like.

chickenboy said...

A sagging backpack? I say they you just ruined my joke, and I hate you all. with an extreme firey passion.

Vampi. said...

I actually remember this poem from 7th grade. The dream was deferred, changed, detoured, come up with different synonyms if needed. The dream of freedom was lost for some but the for some it never disappeared. That sagging heavy load though? That was in reference to the people who dealt with the slavery, who endured it. While they endured it, they set that dream of freedom aside and it became a burden in the back of their minds. James was close (at least I hope I've got who James is right... I'm bad with names)

Cookies for all! Except Bish, bish gets a brownie v.v

Cap'n_Jack said...

Shaffo, you're adopted and everyone hates you. Bish, why the hell do you get a brownie? And James is never right. Ever. He's only occasionally not entirely incorrect.

Vampi. said...

Bish gets a brownie because he always denies my cookies. v.v

Bishopk said...

That's funny. I thought the poem was about a brownie.

Vampi. said...

Bish... that's gotta be one of the best jokes out of you in a looooong time

chickenboy said...

Bish, that is my point!!! It is about a "brownie." Jack, I think I will agree with your statement about James. Btw: My name is spelled with one f (shafo), Gosh! Get it right.